Sunday, November 14, 2010

Waffles, carrot cake, and a not-ugly car trash bag

What a wonderfully lazy Sunday so far.  We started the day off with some tasty breakfast, including a gorgeous bloody mary (compliments of Phil, who of course managed to make even a vegetable-based drink involve sausage):


Breakfast itself was good, but not as fabulous as yesterday's, so I'm posting our Saturday morning waffles with blueberry compote and ice cream instead.  Drool away:


I decided to get over my crafting slump today and take on one of the projects in my One Yard Wonders book that I purchased a few months ago.  I am definitely inexperienced when it comes to sewing, but it's a skill that I have been interested in developing for awhile now.  So today I took a stab at the "Not-Ugly Car Trash Bag" and I'd say that it actually turned out pretty awesome.  Not very showy, but I think it will do the trick for taking care of the inevitable car clutter.  And I'm just proud of myself for completing a craft project.  I can definitely use a little more practice in the sewing skills area, but I feel like I learned a fair amount from this project, including how to make bias tape (not as hard as I thought), finish corners (so that they actually look like corners and not disfigured round messes), and sorta how to sew a box stitch (still working on that one...good thing this is supposed to be a garbage bag anyway):


Finally, I wanted to post the carrot cake with cream cheese frosting (from The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook) that I made for Halloween.  Sadly, I don't have a picture, so you'll just have to make it yourself to see what it looks like!

Carrot Sheet Cake (or cupcakes)
1 1/2 C all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch nutmeg (I added this)
1 C sugar
1/4 C grated carrot
2/3 C vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 8oz can crushed pineapple, drained

Cream Cheese Frosting
1 8oz package cream cheese, softened
1/2 C butter, softened
About 1 1/2 C powdered sugar (the recipe called for 2 C, but that was too sweet in my opinion- you may need to taste a lot of this while you're making it...you know, just to be sure it's good...)
1 tsp vanilla extract

Combine all of the dry ingredients (I sifted the second time I made this because I found clumps of baking soda the first time- yuck!) in a large bowl.  Combine all of the wet ingredients in a smaller bowl, then add to the dry and beat a medium speed with an electric mixer for 2 minutes.  Pour into greased (or lined) cupcake pans and bake at 350 for about 15 to 18 minutes (it took 18 in my oven).  Cool on a wire rack.  While it's baking, beat the cream cheese and butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth.   Slowly add the powdered sugar, beating at a low speed until light and fluffy.  Stir in vanilla at the end.  Frost the cupcakes when cool.  Eat until you are sick.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting. Those cupcakes were delicious! I'm going to make them for my office Holiday Party! :)

    ReplyDelete